recentpopularlog in

fire

« earlier   
Fire in home-made distillery
A man, 50, was badly burnt while distilling alcohol in his Caves Beach garage on Monday. Reports from firefighters at the scene suggest the man was decanting alcohol, which he had produced in his home-made distillery,  into a plastic bucket close to an open flame. Fumes from the alcohol ignited, and the man’s clothes caught alight.The fire spread throughout the garage.

Swansea firefighters extinguished the fire and cared for the man until an ambulance crew arrived. Newcastle Hazmat also attended the scene and used gas detectors to ensure that any flammable vapour had been dispersed after the fire was extinguished. Flames from burning pure alcohol are very difficult to see and produce very little smoke, making them extremely dangerous. This is because smoke is the unburnt product of combustion, and with pure alcohol, virtually all the product is consumed by the fire. In contrast, thick, black smoke indicates a fire that contains high levels of unburnt products, such as bush fires.

In another garage fire involving a male occupant, multiple fire crews were called to Warners Bay on Tuesday. Firefighters were met by an extremely hot, high-intensity inferno. They stopped the fire spreading to the house and a neighbouring property. Firefighter Gabriella Smith said it was thought the sparks from welding started the fire. Crews successfully contained the fire and the man was treated at the scene for burns.
Australia  public  fire  injury  flammables 
11 hours ago by dchas
Flaring at Mossmorran following chemical plant leak
Emergency services rushed to Fife Ethylene Plant shortly after 5.30pm when the alarm was raised.

The incident occurred just a month after ExxonMobil Chemical and Shell UK, operator of Fife NGL Plant, were issued with a final warning by environment watchdog SEPA, as a result of prolonged flaring in June last year.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service sent seven appliances to the scene.

A spokesperson said the incident was dealt with mainly by ExxonMobil Chemical but firefighters remained for more than three hours as a precaution and to advise on ventilation.

What appeared to be flames could be seen a short distance from the base of the flaring stack.

ExxonMobil Chemical issued an apology to residents of surrounding towns and villages.
United_Kingdom  industrial  fire  response  unknown_chemical 
11 hours ago by dchas
Major fire breaks out in TBRL forest area
A major fire broke out in the forest area of Terminal Ballistic Research Laboratory (TBRL), Ramgarh, near Panchkula.
The fire broke out around 4 pm and it was still on till the filing of the report.
Around eight fire brigade vehicles, including five from the Panchkula fire station, had been sent to the TBRL to douse the flames.
However, no loss of life was reported in the incident.
The Panchkula fire station claimed that they had received a call at 7:10 pm. The TBRL too has its own three fire tenders.
The fire is at distance from the residential area of the TBRL.
“There is no need to panic. Around 4 pm, we had tested a high-calibre warhead. It is of 200 kg. Its splinters spread to a large area. There were dry grass which caught fire. Within 15 minutes, the fire would be completely extinguished,” said TBRL Director Dr Manjit Singh.
He said: “The TBRL is fully capable to extinguish the fire. We have our own fire tenders. The civil administration did send five fire tenders but they were not used.”
The TBRL is a Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO) laboratory near Billa village in Panchkula. It is a testing facility and a high-risk area. Adjacent to the TBRL, there is an ITBP camp also.
India  laboratory  fire  response  bomb 
4 days ago by dchas
Dangerous train car fire in San Luis Obispo
Multiple rail cars caught fire on train tracks in San Luis Obispo early Wednesday morning, causing a blaze that burned for several hours and possibly released hazardous chemicals into the air. San Luis Obispo fire officials say they are not ruling out arson as the cause of the fire. [Cal Coast Times]
The train cars that caught fire were full of used railroad ties, according to the San Luis Obispo Fire Department. Railroad ties tend to be soaked in creosote, a toxic chemical.
At about 3 a.m., the fire broke out on train tracks near Orcutt Road and Laurel Lane. The blaze continued to burn after sunrise despite efforts by firefighters to extinguish it.
Fire officials said they did not expect the blaze to be extinguished until mid-morning. Witnesses said the fire created a strong stench in the area.
us_CA  transportation  fire  response  toxics 
4 days ago by dchas
2 injured in chemical fire at Monroe lab
MONROE, Conn. (WTNH) - Two workers were injured after a chemical fire broke out at a Monroe laboratory on Monday afternoon.

According to fire crews, around 2:20 p.m., officials were called to Axel Plastics Research Laboratories, Inc. at 50 Cambridge Drive following a report of a fire in the building.

Officials say a chemical fire broke out but was extinguished before the fire department arrived.

Crews say two employees suffered injuries and were transported to a local hospital.

There has been no word on their condition.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
us_CT  laboratory  fire  injury  plastics 
6 days ago by dchas
How to Build a Fire Pit - This Old House - YouTube
How to Build a Fire Pit - This Old House
How  to  Build  a  Fire  Pit  -  This  Old  House 
9 days ago by kilroy2
Mixed pool chemicals in pickup truck cause parking lot fire at MG Building Materials
Kerrville Fire Department and hazmat crews have MG Building Materials shut down at this hour due to a fire caused by mixed chemicals early this afternoon.

Muriatic acid and chlorine are to blame for setting the back of a pickup truck on fire that was parked in front of MG Building Materials in the parking lot. The man had just picked up the chemicals from a pool shop and they spilled in the back of the truck.











Assistant Manager Misty Ayala told Kerrville Breaking News that the fire was going for about 8-9 minutes in the back of the truck when they took on the blaze with fire extinguishers. Kerrville Fire Department showed up shortly after.

Since the two chemicals create a toxic gas when they are mixed and come into contact with metal, emergency crews shut down MG Building Materials at 2pm until hazmat crews could deem the area safe for human exposure.
us_OK  transportation  fire  response  chlorine  hydrochloric_acid 
10 days ago by dchas
Student: Teacher concerned for class during hazmat situation in Hendersonville school
HENDERSONVILLE, Tenn. — A chemical accident in a science lab injured several students and caused moments of chaos at Merrol Hyde Magnet School on Wednesday morning.
Around 9 a.m., senior Sophia Sisler’s last day of high school turned out to be anything but normal.
"Ambulances and firetrucks start pulling up, and we were like, what on earth is going on,” Sisler said.
Hendersonville Fire Chief Scotty Bush said a chemical reaction gone wrong in a science lab was responsible for injuring 17 students and one teacher.
“We do not feel like this, whatsoever, is any kind of attack, or any kind of incident where a student did anything,” Bush said. “Do not panic about that. We feel like it is something that happened with reaction to chemicals, I’m almost 98 percent sure of that.”

Sisler said after this incident happened, she saw injured students walking to the nurse’s office on the first floor of the school.
"There were kids with a lot of red, some crying and shaking," Sisler said. "There was a lot of red. There was some soot on some of the kids, some of the had open blisters on their legs already."
she said even during the chaos, she heard that teacher in the lab got all of his students out first.
“I heard that he was actively burning, his stomach was on fire, and he put the kids all before himself," Sisler said. "And he looked each and every kid, who was scared and burned, in the eye and ushered them out of the room so that they wouldn’t get hurt anymore, and he said 'you’re going to be okay, everything’s going to be okay.'"
us_TN  laboratory  fire  response  unknown_chemical 
11 days ago by dchas

Copy this bookmark:





to read