recentpopularlog in

philipjohnson

Rockefeller Guest House
Designed by Philip C. Johnson in 1948 and built in 1949-50, the former Rockefeller Guest House is one of the earliest buildings in New York City to reflect the influence of the modern movement in architecture and the celebrated German-American architect Mies van der Rohe. The house, which was described by the noted architectural critic Ada Louise Huxtable as "sophisticated ... handsome, unconventional," is remarkably intact. Johnson's subtle and elegant design incorporates features borrowed from two earlier projects by Mies: his unbuilt "court houses" of the 1930s, and the elevations he designed for various buildings at the Illinois Institute of Technology (hereafter, ITT). Built without the use of traditional ornament, the striking two-story street facade is articulated with precisely arranged structural elements, including a symmetrical first story consisting of a handsome wood door and flanking polished reddish brown ironspot brick walls laid in Flemish bond, surmounted by a grid of six fixed translucent windows faced with four steel H-sections. The house was commissioned by Blanchette Rockefeller, the wife of John D. Rockefeller 3rct and a major patron of the Museum of Modern Art (hereafter, MoMA), to display her collection of modern painting and sculpture and to entertain guests. The Rockefellers donated the house to the museum in 1955, and in the years that followed it had a succession of owners, many of whom were associated with the international art community, including Johnson who Ii ved in the house from 1971-79. A significant early work by one of the country's leading architects and his only private residential building in New York City, in May 1989 the Rockefeller Guest House became the first work of architecture in the city to be sold by a leading art auction house.
NYC  MOMA  architecture  philipJohnson  architects 
february 2019 by fogfish
Philip Johnson Was Very Nazi. So What? / by Armin Rosen (Tablet Magazine, December 5, 2018)
“Here’s an incomplete rundown: In 1934, the 28-year-old Johnson and one of his assistants left their posts as architectural curators at the Museum of Modern Art to begin a brownshirts-style discussion group and activist organization in Johnson’s Manhattan townhouse. Johnson had been enthralled by a Hitler Youth rally he attended in Potsdam in 1933 and wrote an article that same year lauding the Third Reich’s architecture; later he would witness two of the notorious annual Nuremberg rallies, in 1937 and 1938. Johnson had a brief stint as a hanger-on in Huey Long’s entourage before becoming an adviser to Father Coughlin in the mid-1930s—the future architect designed the speaking platform, a menacingly stark white wall with disturbing similarities to his later building designs, that the pro-fascist demagogue used during a September 1936 address in Chicago that drew 80,000 spectators. Johnson consorted with German officials in Washington and New York, and several of his other pro-Nazi American friends and contacts were charged with sedition during WWII, a fate Johnson narrowly avoided thanks to family connections and his own high profile as an art scholar and socialite.”
PhilipJohnson  Architects  NationalSocialism  Fascism 
december 2018 by cbearden
Twitter
RT : Framing the landscape and beyond...

Glass House Burial of Phocion
Poussin  PhilipJohnson  from twitter
september 2017 by mgprojekt
Out of the Box: The Wiley House
Among the houses that Philip Johnson designed in New Canaan, Conn., the suburban enclave that became a laboratory for postwar Modernist design, the Robert C. Wiley house, completed in 1953, remains one of his most elegant. It is a strikingly simple composition of two rectangular boxes: one, a glass and wood pavilion with a single, 15-foot-tall living, dining and kitchen space, is cantilevered over the other, a stone and concrete base that contains, among other things, four small bedrooms, bathrooms and a sitting room. The 3,000-square-foot house typifies Modernism’s insistence on efficient use of space, but by the advent of the McMansion era, despite its architectural pedigree, it merely seemed quaintly, and unsalably, tiny.

The house had been on the market for some time when an enlightened buyer — Frank Gallipoli, the president of Freepoint Commodities, an energy trading firm — bought it in 1994. “I wasn’t looking for a Philip Johnson house,” he recalled, but given the price of land in New Canaan, the building, along with the six acres on which it sits, offered good value. “It had the utility of a house,” Gallipoli said, “but I was getting an art object.” And art is a subject close to Gallipoli’s heart: he owns an extensive collection that includes works by contemporary British artists like Damien Hirst, Tracey Emin, Gary Hume, Jenny Saville and Marc Quinn. Many of these pieces are too big to show in a domestic setting, so Gallipoli began to think about converting a barn on the property (it also served as a garage) into a private gallery. About 10 years ago, he asked Johnson himself to come up with a design, but the architect’s idea for a series of domed structures was never built. Ultimately, Gallipoli commissioned Roger Ferris, of the Connecticut firm Roger Ferris + Partners, to design the barn, along with a pool house, a new garage and a substantial restoration of the existing house. (Ferris also did some work on Gallipoli’s Manhattan house and designed a “surf shack” for him in the Hamptons, which includes a pink Corian aboveground lap pool.)
architecture  philipJohnson  CT  love  glass 
june 2015 by fogfish
Modernist House by Philip Johnson Lists for $14 Million - WSJ
The midcentury modern home, built in the early 1950s, is located on about 6 acres in New Canaan, Conn.

Living in the Philip Johnson-designed “Wiley House”—a transparent glass rectangle cantilevered over a stone podium—is a bit like being “up in a treehouse,” says owner Frank Gallipoli. The home’s public spaces, including the kitchen, living room and dining room, are located in the glass box, while the bedrooms and bathrooms are in the podium.

The Midcentury Modern home, built in the 1950s, is located on a roughly 6-acre plot in New Canaan, Conn. Mr. Gallipoli, a commodities trader, purchased the home in 1994, restored it, and “loved living in it,” he said. He now lives in New York City and is listing the house for $14 million with John Hersam and Inger Stringfellow of William Pitt Sotheby’s International Realty.
house  architecture  philipJohnson  icon  CT 
june 2015 by fogfish

Copy this bookmark:





to read